Sabbath by the Sea
Join us for a week of spiritual renewal at the Oregon Coast!
Could you benefit from several days spent at an ocean-view retreat center with the express purpose of taking time and space to simply interact with God? Sabbath by the Sea offers you such an experience — a personal retreat in the midst of a caring community. Half-week and full-week retreats are available throughout January 2013. Overseeing the program will be Steve Fawver, Pastor of Spiritual Health & Care at Newberg (Oregon) Friends Church.
Relax. Rekindle. Reflect. Restore. Rejoice.
Sabbath by the Sea offers a chance to spend several days at the Oregon Coast simply listening to God. It’s a true retreat — an extended time of conversation with Christ under the tutelage of a spiritual guide. (Sabbath by the Sea is modified from the “Center for Personal Growth in Christ” program held each January from 2002 to 2010.)
Accommodations are in a cluster of oceanfront beach cabins in Rockaway Beach, Oregon, collectively known as Harbor Villa Retreat Center. This facility, owned by Twin Rocks Friends Camp & Conference Center, can accommodate up to 12 people. All rooms are private (or
shared with your spouse).
- It’s a chance to relax, to spend time reflecting on life and the Creator who formed you.
- It’s space to talk with God, and to listen to God speaking to you.
- It’s a chance to rekindle your relationship with Jesus Christ,discovering joy in his mercy, strength in his loving hands of healing.
- It’s the joy of choosing to follow him, responding submissively tohis call upon you, while basking in his love for you.
- It’s uninterrupted time for just you and God, finding restoration from life’s trials and wounds.
- It’s the peace that comes from taking time to pray, to really pour out your heart before God and listen for God’s response.
Full Week & Half-Week Options
Participants choose their preferred length of stay:
• Full-Week Option (4pm Monday – 1pm Sunday) Reserving an entire week for Sabbath by the Sea provides a spacious personal retreat to set aside “life back home” and enter deeply into dialogue with Christ.
• Half-Week Options (4pm Monday – 1pm Thursday; or 4pm Thursday – 1pm Sunday) For those whose commitments at home preclude a full week’s session, a three-night version is available, with midweek and long weekend options.
Sabbath by the Sea is overseen by Steve Fawver, Pastor of Spiritual Health & Care at Newberg Friends Church, where he has been on the pastoral team for more than 20 years. Steve holds a Doctor of Ministry degree in Leadership and Spiritual Formation from George Fox Evangelical Seminary. He is a frequent retreat leader and is often sought out for spiritual direction, given his passion to help people pay attention to God, listen to Christ, and develop deeper lives of prayer. Under Steve’s direction, each week will be hosted by a different set of spiritual directors (or spiritual leaders) who will facilitate community gatherings and offer (optional) one-on-one spiritual guidance sessions.2013 Dates:
- Week 1 - December 31, 2012 - January 6, 2013 (full or half-week sessions available) - Steve Fawver & Martha Wood
- Week 2 - January 7-13, 2013 (full or half-week sessions available) - Bruce & Di Murphy
- Week 3 - January 14-20, 2013 (full or half-week sessions available) - Jo Helsabeck and Craig Davis
- Week 4 - January 21-27, 2013 (full or half-week sessions available) - Susan & Gary Fawver
A stay at Sabbath by the Sea includes:
- Extended time alone with God — space for solitude, reflection, relaxation, and renewal
- Daily gatherings of the Sabbath by the Sea community for worship and prayer
- A seaside setting along the Oregon Coast — blustery storms pounding ashore, followed by days of calm and thoughtful strolls along the beach
- A chance to interact with God through a spectrum of Christ-focused practices such as journaling, artwork, Scripture, beach walks, and classic Christian writings
- Personalized guidance and insight from spiritual guides renownedfor their care, wisdom, and commitment to Christ
- An opportunity to worship God through music
- A schedule that adapts to meet your unique needs and concerns
A sample day…No two participants are identical, and every day is different, but here’s a sample of what a day at Sabbath by the Sea might look like for you:
- 6:30am: Rise early before the rest of the crowd and begin your day with a fresh piece of fruit, a good cup of coffee, and some quiet conversation with the Lord.
- 7:45am: Gather with the 12 members of the Sabbath by the Sea community for pre-breakfast Scripture and prayers.
- 8:30am: For breakfast, enjoy a scone and a bowl of oatmeal topped with dried cranberries and walnuts. Stay afterward for a turn helping wash dishes.
- 9:30am: Sitting in an overstuffed chair in a room overlooking the ocean, hear and practice some spiritual disciplines that can help bring about spiritual growth.
- 10:15am: Begin some extended time alone with the Lord. Take a walk on the beach collecting sea shells and talking with God. Return to your room for some Bible reading and journaling.
- 12:30pm: Grab some lunch and continue time with God. Walk to a local coffee shop and read a few chapters from a spiritual classic. Journal about the book. Return to your room and take a nap. Or pick up some water colors and paint the scenery. Or compose a song on your guitar. Relax. Build a fire in the fireplace. Take another stroll on the beach and thank the Lord for his care and compassion.
- 4:00pm: Meet one-on-one with a spiritual guide (these sessions are entirely optional). Share about your faith journey and dialogue together about ways to nurture your relationship with God.
- 5:30pm: Enjoy leisurely fellowship together around the dinner table.
- 6:45pm: Join with the Sabbath by the Sea community to sing songs of worship, reflect with the group (if you so desire) about the highlights of your day, and pray together.
- 8:00pm: Put together a jigsaw puzzle as you chat with friends. Or grab a cookie from the kitchen and retire to your room to read some more from your book. Or simply listen to an Oregon Coast winter rainstorm beating on your bedroom window as you drift off to sleep.
“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion?
Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life.
I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work
with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of
grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep
company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”
(from Matthew 11:28-30, The Message)
- A private room (or shared room with your spouse) and shared restroom: $410 for full-week / $205 for half-week ($25 extra if register after Dec. 17); or
- A private room (or shared room with your spouse) and private restroom: $510 for full-week / $255 for half-week ($25 extra if register after Dec. 17).
Prices include all lodging, meals and program expenses. Some scholarships are available. Please don’t let a lack of funds deter you from coming. For scholarship details, please contact us at 503-355-2284.
Downloadable Brochure: Sabbath by the Sea brochure (pdf)
Testimonials from Earlier Years...
...I could never have anticipated the rewards this week has given me.
– Jean Matthews, Vancouver, Washington
Sabbath by the Sea was better than I had hoped for! I was given the space and freedom to seek and hear and be with God in my own unique way, in the shared community of saints. It was a great joy and pleasure. The time was facilitated with grace and compassion.
– Kim Snow, Newberg, Oregon
I cannot recall another time in life that I have been able to set aside so many days in a row for prayer, listening, reading, and reflection. It was a wonderful time of growth and renewal. The leadership, camp support staff, accommodations, location, the community we experienced with others, and the obvious presence of God, all fit together to make this a very meaningful retreat.
– Cliff Loesch, Wichita, Kansas
[Sabbath by the Sea] offers a well-balanced retreat format that draws on the strengths of community, silence, sound biblical teaching, prayer, and God's majestic creation of the Pacific Northwest. The entire experience is guided by caring, seasoned leaders who allow ample space for the Holy Spirit to work.... I highly recommend it!
– Jeff Retter, Newberg, Oregon
It's an experience that is a blessing and something to remember for a lifetime. When I came I was tired, discouraged, and confused. But as the week went on, the Lord gave me rest, hope, and a clear mind through all the people and activities that happened. I leave with great joy!
– Tracey Pruitt, Kelso, Washington
The week was a chance to relax and replenish my soul in preparation for the year ahead —a chance to reflect on the mighty God who created the ocean and who desires to love me so deeply. A wonderful time!
– Michelle Geasland, Tahlequah, Oklahoma
[Sabbath by the Sea] has been an anchor in my spiritual journey — keeping me established in the midst of turbulent currents of life.
– Ron Mulkey, Madras, Oregon
This retreat is a gift from God and to God. It is a time to receive great blessings and unload burdens. It's been a time to simply adore our maker.
– Paul Almquist, Newberg, Oregon
I came to the retreat with a desire to read, rest, and reflect. I was able to do so, which meant I could leave here renewed.
– Michael Grogan, Cape Coral, Florida
It was a week "by still waters" for my soul, filled with rich and deep blessings of communing, not only with our living Lord, but also with others in His body also hungering after Him.
– Barbara Baker, Istanbul, Turkey
This week is the best gift you will ever give yourself. The setting at the Oregon coast is magnificent and perfectly suited for a time of personal reflection and drawing close to our Lord.
– Barbara Palmer, Newberg, Oregon
I came tired and depleted from the rigors and joys of ministry. Immediately when I stepped on the grounds I felt God's hand descend and begin to wash away my depletedness. I come away refreshed, renewed, and remolded. Something significant, yet subtle, took place, and my encounter with the living God will continue to infuse my soul.
– John Stone, Corvallis, Oregon
My experience at Harbor Villa was so great. I got to spend so much time alone with the Lord, as well as really enjoy and learn from time in community, and all this under the guidance of wonderful spiritual guides.
– Andrew Boone, Austin, Texas